White Lupine Homestead at Eagle Ridge Ranch - SOLD Gunnison, Colorado | County: Gunnison
- 35 Acres
- 4,500 +/- SqFt
White Lupine Homestead is located in Eagle Ridge Ranch, which is a 4,900-acre shared ownership ranch located in the Ohio Creek Valley near Gunnison and Crested Butte, Colorado. The Ohio Creek Valley is a pristine mountain valley, which has been largely unspoiled by development. The ranch is protected from further development by a conservation easement and therefore and shall remain an exclusive natural paradise forever. Eagle Ridge Ranch is the winner of the Colorado Governor's Smart Growth award. This "ranch preserve" is a working ranch owned by 15 owners, each with their own parcel of land and residential homestead site. A number of “common” amenities exist for the owners including two miles of live trout stream fishery on Ohio Creek, a 3-acre fishing pond, two mountain cabins, barn, corrals, and equestrian facilities and horseback riding, hiking and cross country skiing trails.
Eagle Ridge Ranch is located seven miles north of Gunnison via paved County Road 730, locally known as the Ohio Creek Road. Gunnison lies between Pueblo and Grand Junction and accessible via US Highway 50. Gunnison by highway is 200 miles southwest from Denver, 165 miles west from Colorado Springs and 125 miles southeast from Grand Junction, Colorado.
Gunnison’s commercial air service is provided by United and United Express from Denver. Additionally, during the winter months flights may be found from Houston, Dallas and Newark. The airport also provides charter service, fueling and hanger facilities for private aircraft.
ACREAGE AND DESCRIPTION
Eagle Ridge Ranch is a historic working ranch and continues in that tradition today. The central feature is Ohio Creek, a mid-sized willow and cottonwood tree lined river that offers excellent trout fishing. There are a variety of land types with a large base of irrigated meadows and pastures on either side of the two miles of Ohio Creek, home to a resident elk herd. The acreage grades into grassy sagebrush hills used for summer pasture as well as habitat for a variety of wildlife and most notably Mule Deer and Gunnison Sage Grouse. The ranch has a Primitive Area consisting of nearly 2,500 acres of high elevation mountain alpine terrain with aspen, pine, spruce and sage. The acreage provides mountain pasture as well as recreational opportunities for the exclusive use of the home owners. The Primitive Area also serves as habitat for numerous Rocky Mountain wildlife species, including deer, elk, bear, blue grouse, hawks, eagles and many others. The Primitive Area is the location of two mountain cabins used by the owners for big game hunting, overnight stays, base camp hikes. The owners also ride horses, ATVs, snowmobiles along the many trails available in this mountain paradise. The area borders Forest Service and the West Elks providing hundreds more miles of land for exploration and recreation.
AREA & CLIMATE
The property is located in the twenty mile long Ohio Creek Valley, which is comprised of a few large trophy ranches and high-end residential ranchettes. The Gunnison National Forest and West Elk Wilderness Area surround the valley displaying their snow-capped peaks, giving rise to its local name “Valley of the Castles”.
The population of Gunnison County is 13,500 with 5,500 people in Gunnison and 2,000 inhabitants in Crested Butte. Gunnison is home to Western State College, a four-year college with attendance of 2,500.
The climate in Gunnison is typical for the central Rocky Mountains. The area climate is a “four-season” experience with lots of blue skies and sunshine filled days. The high/low temperatures for July are 81/42 and for January 30/5. Annual precipitation is estimated to be 13 to 20 inches depending on the location on the ranch.
The Gunnison area offers a number of recreational opportunities. Crested Butte Ski Area and Monarch Ski Area offer excellent mountain skiing, both a little over one-half hour from Gunnison. Golfing is provided at two top-rated courses in Gunnison and Crested Butte. Blue Mesa Reservoir and surrounding reservoirs and streams offer fishing and boating activities. Hunting, fishing, horse-packing and backpacking can be accommodated in the nearby Gunnison National Forest and West Elk Wilderness. The area is a recreation paradise.
White Lupine Homestead is the premium site in Eagle Ridge Ranch, with the most magnificent views of Carbon Peak and the Anthracite range. This three-story home is nestled in an aspen grove on one side, an evergreen forest on the other with spectacular mountain views and plenty of southern exposure. The new owner may expand construction on the site to a cumulative total of 20,000 square feet to include a barn/garage, and another house within the building envelope.
• Three-story rustic contemporary frame and stone house
• Three-car heated attached garage with workbench
• Native moss rock fascia and Montana log accents
• No-maintenance stucco exterior
• Metal roof
• Heated driveway and front walk way
• Decks are constructed of maintenance free aluminum planks, which are both waterproof and fireproof.
• Moon and star deck for optimal night-time viewing
• Covered porch with hand-peeled log handrails overlooking the valley, mountains and up into the forest
• Rail fence surrounding native landscaping and accented with rustic farm implements
• Completely automated landscape irrigation system
• Three (or five) bedrooms (currently two rooms are designed as offices with easy conversion to bedrooms if needed)
• Four bathrooms
• Approximately 4,500+/- square feet
• Cathedral ceilings in every room on the living level
• Entry with coffered lighted ceiling
• Large master bedroom with mountain views and private deck
• Elegant master bath with marble tiles, a chandelier, plus a steam shower with mountain and forest views
• Huge country kitchen with custom cherry cabinetry
• Granite tile countertops
• Large walk-in pantry
• Two ovens and five-burner cook top
• Glass-front cabinets for display
• Extra large main kitchen sink and prep sink
• Purified water with reverse osmosis system
• Huge split log mantle
• Built-in art niche and specially designed built-in satellite, surround sound TV, stereo, VCR system
• Raised gas log fireplace for optimum ambience
• Full bath with extra large oval tub
• Mirrored exercise facility, including sauna
• Enormous sports closet for storage of hunting and skiing equipment
• Large, easily accessible mechanical room
• The two main level bedrooms are connected with a Jack and Jill bath including extra large oval tub
• Extra large laundry room with plenty of cabinets and countertops, full closet, a deep sink and access to the garage
• Extra-high ceiling in basement with large view windows and French doors accessing patio and secluded garden area
• Track lighting and spots for art displays
• Raised hearth gas fireplace
• In-floor heat with eleven zones for heating efficiency
• Three phone lines to every room in the house
• State-of-the-art security system, owned and monitored, wired for video cameras
• Motion detection security lights
• Satellite dishes, interior and exterior built-in stereo speakers, phone, fax, and internet
• Zoned for personal use area, residential remainder of 35 acres is agricultural
Conservation Land Covenant, Protective Covenants, Design Guidelines and Permitted Uses of Eagle Ridge Ranch are designed to protect the property, wildlife and environment. The covenant protects the ranch from further development thus making the property exclusive to its owners. The intent is to preserve the property in a substantially undisturbed natural state, shared only by the historical agricultural, and ranching uses and used for the recreational enjoyment of the homeowners. Additionally, the objective of this private community is to encourage wildlife habitat, protect the natural elements and ecologic and aesthetic values.
Ranching activities include:
• Pasturing, grazing, feeding and care of livestock
• Growing, baling and storage of hay
• Irrigation during normal irrigation season by using the extensive water rights
• Developing and maintaining water resources
• Predator control
• Maintenance of roads and easements
Recreation uses include:
• Hunting within the Primitive Area of Eagle Ridge Ranch
• Fishing at all times within a fishing easement along Ohio Creek and at the fish pond
• Cross country skiing, walking, hiking, mountain biking on the whole ranch
• Horseback riding, all terrain vehicle usage, snowmobiling
• Other similar uses
Eagle Ridge Ranch offers a number of common amenities including fishing, hunting, wildlife viewing, use of two mountain cabins, and equestrian facilities. Each homestead is comprised of approximately 35 acres; part of which is used for ranching purposes by the Eagle Ridge Ranch in accordance with the permitted ranching activities. Each homestead includes an owner’s use area for personal and private use and a building envelope. The homesteads have been located to maximize the enjoyment of the property, to optimize the views and retain the exclusive flavor of the Eagle Ridge Ranch. It is noted that the density is 325 acres for each owner, however owners have recreational access to all lands. This extremely low density preserves the exclusive nature of the ranch, which is a key factor in enhancing its future value. Each homestead owner is a member and the members elect a three-member board to guide the ranching and uses on the ranch. A Homeowners Association serves to protect the value and guide this unique ranch for the enjoyment of the property owners. The operation of the agricultural activities provides an income stream to largely offset capital improvements, general maintenance and ranch expenses including maintenance of the roads for each homestead (including snow blowing in the winter) as well as the expense of a full time ranch manager. Current assessments are approximately $8,500 per year.
TAXES: $2,506 in 2013
Eagle Ridge Ranch is an exceptional lifestyle property located in an exclusive and pristine mountain valley. Eagle Ridge offers the amenities of a working ranch, fishery, wildlife, two wilderness cabins and unlimited recreational opportunities all in the beautiful Ohio Creek Valley. This exclusive combination makes this offering an extraordinary and exceptional opportunity.
Broker: Rue Balcomb